Keeping the dream alive.

Montag, Januar 30, 2006

Make Poverty History.

I've got this band thingy with the words..
MAKEPOVERTYHISTORY 2005
i snitched it from the boy the other day..
his teacher gave it to him..
and i took it away.
i really think that this is a worthy cause and everything.
really proud of Bono and the stars for even bothering to help this campaign.
It's my adopted campaign of 2006 if you don't know..

Right. and the whole point of this would be..
Jun is being bombed by weirdly dumb weird people..
Since i've got no idea if the person's male/female..i'm gonna assume it's gender to be an 'it'.
-shrugs-
lemme just cut and paste the posts..

If that's the case right sj, then you should just quit photography. One cam can cost so much, why don't you just donate the $$ to the poor?
And since you cannot imagine celebrating when there are so many people out there who have never known the meaning of celebration, why don't you just don't bathe, don't use the comp, hp, tv, don't sleep on your bed, don't eat good food, don't wear any clothes, becoz there are so many ppl out there who don't know the meaning of such worldly stuffs.
so I expect to see you starving and naked next time right?
'Cause so many ppl out there don't wear clothes, why should you?
so why are you still driving a car?? 'Cause there so SO MANY ppl out there who don't know the meaning of driving one.
have you ever prayed for one of such people u mentioned? its not the material possesions that they may need..some of them may just die..what they need is a God who can help them..not a mortal who worries and blogs..oh well..men sees the outward..but God sees the intentions of the heart.
/edit i HAD to make minor changes to the spellings and stuf..i'm anal about it.

Usually..
i really can't be bothered about this kind of stuff..seriously.
ask shawn.
i'm not even talking to him now.
he's forever giving me stupid crap like this..and tho i started off willing to explain my side of the story..his reasonings became stupider and stupider..and i felt like an idiot for even bothering about him. so i'm ignoring him now. i mean..why bother? it's not as if he's asking because he's honestly puzzled about it..he's just asking these questions to irk me. and i will NOT let him get to me. Not worth my time and effort.
I can be bimbotic at times and act really blur..but i can do the whole chim talk and everything if i'm interested in the topic at hand, or if i feel that you're really serious about having this discussion..besides, it doesn't hurt to take a look at the other side of the coin.

Anyway...back to the point.
As i was saying..Jun got 'bombed'.
and i think he's perfectly capable to fend for himself..
but..
it's thinking is really REALLY screwed la..
i mean..look..
i didn't ask to be in a better off family.
i'm serious.
i didn't ask God to give me a rich family.
It just happens..
and the only thing i can do is to remember the needy..
to give them a hand whenever i can..

it's like...
Do you have to BE a needy to help the needy?
I don't think so.

Let's get back to the 'Making poverty History' campaign.
Does it mean that i should starve myself to help the Africans?
I don't think so.

Do i have to at the beaches of Thailand to sympathize them?
I don't think so.

Do i have to be part of a genocide, to experience it, to know that it is wrong?
I don't think so.

And that is but a small part of the endless examples i can come up with..
Regarding the deal with starving people in third world nations..
What they don't need is an entire world of starving people.
Imagine this.
Let's say..the entire US of A supports this campaign..
and with that piece of screwed up logic..
the entire population in the US of A decides to starve.
the elderly, the young, the able-bodied, the disabled..EVERYBODY.
SO..
World Vision would end up with not only the starving people of the third world nations.
but an entire country of idiots who have the means to eat and yet choose to starve.
Right.
You get the idea.
I would say that..if you decide to eat some posh nosh at some fancy restaurant, and choose to go to a cheaper eatery and donate the excess money saved to the campaign..that would be enough.
It may not be a huge sacrifice, but a sacrifice nonetheless.
To remember the needy.

To get functioning threads instead of pricey ones because of the label at the back of the shirt. and to do something worthwhile with the money saved.
To remember the needy.

And to shoot back at the point about not driving a car because there are so many others who haven't driven one yet?
FYI, there are better-off kids who do not know how to drive a car.
Is driving a car a priority in life?
Is it a must to know how to drive a car?
I would have thought that having enough money to feed your family for the 3 meals in the day would be a priority.
that having enough money to pay the bills..the water, electricity and gas. Not the internet broadband subscription.
If you really think that driving a car is a priority in life..and that the needy will benefit if i do not drive a car..then so be it.
I will not die without a car.
I do public transport very well.
Being able to drive and to have a car to drive is a bonus.
I do not expect it, but neither will i turn down the offer to use the car..
If the question was about me WANTING a car at my age..i'm here for you to rant at.
I don't see a need to have a car now.
I can commute to school and back fairly easily..with the occasional dash for the bus.
I can find my way around Singapore with the transport system.
I can't afford to pay for gas for the car, nor the parking fees, nor maintanence and such.
So shoot me if i seriously say that i want to buy a car when i'm still schooling.
Shoot me.
However, certain times i do jest about owning a vehicle..esp the Kangoo.
but..as i've said..it's a dream..a wish..
-shrugs-
i'm not ready for my own vehicle yet.
so for the moment i'll make do with the family-mobile.

anyway..i digress..
where were we..
In short..
I would be touched by a $5 donation by a man who has to feed his family and only earns $50 a week, as compared to a CEO of a MNC who earns big bucks..
Look at the parable of the woman with two coins.
because cliche as it is..it's the heart that matters.
the amount donated is not as important as the heart behind it.
To donate to get your name up the 'Hall of Fame' is pathetic.
To donate to help the needy..that is cool.
You don't need to be recognized for your donations.
I believe that it should be anonymous.
My God is not one who looks at spreadsheets and graphs.
He looks at the heart.

Can you picture God in His 'office' going through spreadsheets and blacklisting people who donate <$5 each week?
I can't.

Can you picture Him blessing only the donors of >$100 each week?
I can't.

Can you picture Him accepting monetary donations from evil, horrible people and blessing them for it?
I can't.

If my Daddy King was like that..why..i wouldn't be going to church at all.
All i had to do to guarantee entrance to heaven would be to swindle money from people and donate it to the church..
and make sure they have a 'big ass' Hall of Fame with my name engraved on it...IN GOLD LETTERINGS.
pffttt.

Anyway..i seem to have digress a bit.
I don't see the logic in "why don't you just don't bathe, don't use the comp, hp, tv, don't sleep on your bed, don't eat good food, don't wear any clothes, becoz there are so many ppl out there who don't know the meaning of such worldly stuffs."
pure stupidity la.

And..
i don't see anything wrong in indulging once in a while..
i can see myself forking out money to buy cameras etc. which is what i'm currently planning to do..
who are you to tell me how to spend my money?
it's my money mine you..
I don't believe telling people..
"Eh...don't buy this blah blah blah thing..buy for what? -nags- Donate to the uncle by the street better la.."
then the whole purpose of donating is wrong.
It has to come from within..
I have to WANT to donate..
and not do it out of peer pressure..pressure from the society..
We can't conform to the society..because in some way..society's screwed too.
The only being that we should conform to would be God.
:)

The extra money i have..i don't have to donate it.
It's not compulsory to do it.
I do it to remember the needy.

By needy, i do not mean jobless, able-bodied people who camp around with some instrument hoping for donations.
I may be better off..but don't treat me as an idiot.
Do not try to fleece me.
This category of 'needy' is similar to the category of 'poor' people who spend their cash on cosmetics, pricey threads, expensive concert tickets, high end electronic gadgets.
You're not really needy or poor.
You just need to help yourself.
Find a job.
Start saving.
Prioritze things you NEED and things you WANT.
Remember that you can't always have what you WANT.
an LV bag is not a NEED.

I'm sleepy now.
Rant's over.

0 Comments:

Add a comment