Keeping the dream alive.

Mittwoch, Februar 22, 2006

To everything there is a season, a time for every purpose under heaven. — Ecclesiastes 3:1

If only silly old me did my daily devotionals everyday..
i would have read this..

We live in a mobile and fast-paced society. We just don't like to wait for anything anymore. We like things fast. We don't even have to wait for ketchup anymore. It comes in an upside-down squeeze bottle now.

I have to admit that, personally, I like things fast. If I am on the freeway and one lane is moving just a little faster than the other, I will switch over. If I'm in line at a store, and I see a new register open, I will go over there just so I can get out four seconds faster than everyone else.

We get our news fast too. In the old days, we would have to wait until later in the day for the news. But now, through satellite technology, we can get our news as it is happening. We like things fast, boiled down, and simplified.

We carry this thinking over into our spiritual lives as well. We expect God to work the same way. If God has something to say to us, we prefer that it would be in a ten-second sound bite, because we are awfully busy.

Here is the problem with this thinking when it applies to God and the spiritual life. God rarely gives His eternal truths in ten-second sound bites. We can't have spiritual growth fast and simple. Spiritual growth takes time, and lots of it. In fact, it takes a lifetime.

Let me ask you this: Do you have something more important or significant to do with your life than to get to know the God who created you and to walk with Him? That is why God put us here in the first place. And it will take a lifetime.

- Greg Laurie-

0 Comments:

Add a comment