Keeping the dream alive.

Mittwoch, April 05, 2006

Hope Springs Eternal.

But to paraphase the Jesuit spiritual teacher Anthony de Mello, 'In a
hypotheical situation, if I could promise you perfect happiness, would you take
it? It would mean giving up everything - your job, your car, your house, all
your possessions, you'd be living on the street, but you'd be blissfully,
joyously content. How about it?' Anthony de Mello suspected that no one would
want to take him up on it. And when I put it to the people I interviewed, they
said, 'Give up everything? Even my house?' I pointed out that they'd be
sublimely happy, that they wouldn't care that they possessed nothing, but they
all looked uncomfortable and eventually confessed they'd rather stay as they
were.
- Under the Duvet by Marian Keyes

0 Comments:

Add a comment