Keeping the dream alive.

Dienstag, August 01, 2006

Financial Planning 101

Was reading a friend's blog just now..
he was telling of how he's in deficit and stuff like that..
like you know..
how the output > input?
yeah.

i don't know..
but to me...
this has never happened to me.

i mean...i do indulge in reckless shopping urges and stuff..
but i always believe in this rule of thumb..
that my mother lives by...and drilled into her kids.
Live Within Your Means.

simple ain't it?

like...let's say...in cgs days..
i was getting in an allowance of 30bucks per week..
i think..
so...if i happen to want to get this cd..
that would set me back by 20bucks.
leaving me with 10bucks for food and stuff.
and if i spend 2bucks per day on recess (food + drink)
i'll have enough to get me by for the 5 days..
excluding cca day..saturday.
during which...i'll just makan with the family lor..
but that would mean that i can't pop by to mobil to buy snacks and stuff..
plus...that would also mean that i don't get to save any money for that week.

then...
in sec 3 and 4...my friends and i started to cultivate expensive habits..
instead of lunching in the school canteen..where there's cheap and decent school meals...
we had to take a bus down to town..
go into isetan's supermarket..
select sushi...
plus some drink in nice looking bottles which cost like 2bucks?
and then tapao everything back to school..
to study in school.
running in and out to mobil to grab chips, chocolate bars and what-nots along the way.
luckily for me..
we didn't stay back in school to study everyday.
heng ar...
and yar..
that thought me how to balance my finances again.
see..
if i were to have a 'good' meal...which would set me back about 5-10bucks.
i would have to make do with cheaper meals for the rest of the week..

and now...
it's integrated into my lifestyle i supposed..
tho i'm getting much more than what i used to get..
i pretty much spend it the same way..
plus i always set targets for my bank balance..
my personal account..
like...the amount should not drop below this amount..
and then i'll just balance my spending accordingly..
the thing is..
let's say...my account now has 1.2k..
whatever i do...i will not let it drop past 1k..
same goes if it's 2.1k...cannot drop past 2k..
and that's how the amount keeps increasing i reckon.

guess it's all about self control.

whoever spends $600+ on FOOD a month?
seriously..
even if i eat out everyday for all my meals..i don't even chalk up that amount in a month lar!
goodness.
live within your means.
-shakes head-
one doesn't have to eat in a restaurant every single meal..or eat overpriced sandwiches..or drink overpriced coffee..
it's an INDULGENCE...not a lifestyle..
you can also MAKE sandwiches at home...for like what...5 times cheaper the price?
and it's not just 1 sandwich you're making..can prolly make like 10 sandwiches..
and if you really need a cuppa to start your day..
homemade nescafe is pretty good too...unless you like me, can't mix a decent cuppa...
then buy 3 in 1 lar! or go across the road to the kopitiam and order kopi bing :)
80cents only!
and hot chocolate is basically similar to milo.

i've been doing this whole financial planning thing with a few of my friends..
i feel like a nag..
sheese..

and...transportation..
why take the cab when there's public transport..
because you're running late?
then get out of the house earlier la!
it's a whole lifestyle problem i tell you.

laziness.
and you wonder why your accounts are in the red.

gosh.

0 Comments:

Add a comment